Wednesday 19 November 2014

the Julia Cardi

Hmmm, it's 35 degrees in Brisbane and what do I sew? A cardigan. It's not a flimsy one either, oh no, it's made from a black double layered Jersey, so the shawl bit it not only double layered, it has in fact 4 layers.

The fabric was always destined to become a cardi and I love the Julia Cardigans that I have seen around, so there we are ... a black thick cardigan just as Brisbane starts to sweat :-)

I realise now as I am posting these pictures that wearing a black top under the black cardi really really didn't help 'showcase' the cardi ... sigh.


I chose the 3/4 length sleeve option with band and the double layered shawl and I just squeezed it out of 2m of fabric.


I made size M so that I have the option later to add a concealed button to the front to close it in winter. I followed the instructions mostly except for the shawl bit where I top stitched the seams down both at the edge and where the shawl gets attached to the main cardigan. It was necessary I think, because it is a double layered jersey and the seam where the shawl is attached to the main body is very thick (think 6 layers of jersey).



It's a lovely (relatively quick) make and the cardigan will come in handy ... when it cools down a little :-)

2 comments:

  1. It's good to sew ahead :).

    This is a great shape cardi for you - it looks lovely. Sometimes you do have to anchor things down, as you have done. I hope you get to enjoy wearing it in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely and cosy! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear what you think, but do try to be nice as this is what I do for fun and enjoyment :-)