Thursday 7 June 2012

sidetracked again - a sleep mask story

I love sleep masks, but now that I hardly every fly, I actually have to buy them and they actually cost around the 15 dollar mark. So for the last 2 years I kept telling myself to just make them myself (I can hand sew just fine), except I never really got there. Well, no time like the present and now that I had the scraps of the pyjama pants that were a lovely thick flannel so I had no excuse ...

So I cut it all out (double the black fabric to make sure it is actually dark enough) ...


... pinned the nose piece to the face piece and sewed it in place ...



... attached the elastic through all fabric pieces ...


 ... then used wide bias tape to finish it all off

 

 
the bias tape is not particularly neat (especially the bottom one), but I didn't want to redo it all again. Afterwards I thought you could probably if you have an overlocker/serger you could just do the edge with that and not bother with the dreaded bias tape.

Now Giggles, back to the sewing machine bag already :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hiya.
    You could also use a coverpro for a flatter finish however these are a really need idea. Thanks for this tute.

    ReplyDelete

I'd like to hear what you think, but do try to be nice as this is what I do for fun and enjoyment :-)